Restoration of degraded ecosystems
82) Restore degraded ecosystems and maintain and improve the production of ecosystem services.
- Criteria for the effective focusing of restoration will be developed in order to better select sites for restoration. Restoration of sites meeting the criteria will contribute towards achieving the global restoration target of 15 per cent.
- An expert working group will consider the needs and methods for the targeting of restoration, and the time span required for restoring degraded ecosystems.
- Develop restoration and remediation methods and their cost-efficient targeting, and methods for assessing the impacts of measures and monitoring their effectiveness.
- Expand measures more comprehensively to cover open habitats.
- Link restoration methods so as to better promote the improvement of conservation levels of threatened species and habitat types, and to enhance the ecological quality of the network of protected areas, and its functionality and connectivity, so as to provide buffering as regards climate change. The ecosystem approach should be applied in the planning of restoration measures.
- Identify possible legislative obstacles to the restoration of habitats.
Responsible institutions: Ministry of the Environment, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry
- Updated (03.12.2014)